[GRLUG] root on Fedora 15

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 15:33:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Eric Beversluis <
ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 15:12 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Kyle <dontwantspam1 at earthlink.net>

Curious.  The "su" man page suggests
that running su is not same as logging in
as root directly, but that "su -"  is.

"su" gives you root privileges, but not
the full environment of logging in as root.
Tried both ways, PATH is slightly different,
for example?

Having always used "su" to do root
related things, other than trial and error,
when should one use "su -" instead?

    -- Bob