[GRLUG] Last Night and Next Week

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 09:55:33 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
> This giant mass of HP Unix, VMWare servers, and virtualized Windows
> desktops is diligently monitored by an Ubuntu machine running Nagios. I
> think it's obvious which is the critical OS there.

VMWare Server? :P

> We had a pretty big crowd for this event: about 20 people in all. An
> unexpected surprise was the hospital's spacious cafeteria, which
> includes a Subway that's open 24x7, and is virtually empty at 8PM. If
> we outgrow the Starbucks, we may move the meetings there.

Yeah, a few of us were noting and thinking about that. The biggest
problem...how do we get in? The front entrance locks at 8PM, and the
ER folks would probably find it odd (to say the least) to see a bunch
of non-employee, non-patient people shuffling through.

Otherwise, yeah, the place would make for an amazing meetup location.
The A/C to table ratio is a little low, but it looks like most of the
people who've been showing up have far better battery lives than
mine...

> Next Wednesday we'll be socializing in Casey's garage in Jenison (aka
> The Warehouse). We'll start at 8PM and run until Casey or his wife
> kicks us out. As usual at Casey's, it's BYoB and a snack if you
> something to munch on. He also has another zany "can it run Linux"
> project for anyone wants to take a crack at it.

Whee. Someone needs to set up a "will it blend"-esque blog or vlog for
putting Linux on things.