[GRLUG] A Moment of Silence

scott.tanner at comcast.net scott.tanner at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 17:18:43 EDT 2011

OpenSolaris is officially dead, too bad as it had some great promise and features (like the SMF). There's also Nexenta (www.nexenta.com) which fuses the OpenSolaris kernel with debian user-land. I had a nightmare of a time getting it to run on my computers.

We have quite a few x86-based Sun fire servers, and they're top-notch in terms of remote management, build quality and ease of maintenance. Far better than Dell and HP ( at least they were a couple of years ago). I've been dealing with Oracle support for the past 2 weeks on what started as a simple dead fan on an x4240, and its been ridiculous. At one point I had the canned "We don't support CentOS, so we can't help you". I now loathe Oracle.

I ran Sun workstations and servers throughout the late 90's and early 2000's, as well as SGI, HP and IBM ( and a couple of Dec's). Sun definitely had the cost-advantage, but hardware wise they were all about equal. Maybe I was just exceptional at finding machines weaknesses?

Regards,
Scott