[GRLUG] Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) released!!

Kevin McCarthy signals42 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:40:51 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:34 PM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:43:42PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
>
> > My laptop didn't have the video hardware requirements to be able to
> > run Unity in 11.04. I don't think that'll change with 11.10. I'm
> > admittedly curious, though.
>
> Now that surprises me.  I think Ubuntu is far too resource-heavy anyway,
> but to not be able to run the *default* interface is strange.  It's not
> heavy like Compiz, is it?  I tried it in a VM and it seemed okay.  Then
> again, it's not like I did any real work with it, either.

Actually, it *IS* Compiz. At least the default Unity interface is. But,
there is Unity 2D (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity2D) which was an optional
install in 11.04, and is standard in 11.10. Unfortunately, I've had my share
of trouble getting it to work in a VM with SPICE graphics, but that's not to
say it won't work on real hardware that's not up to spec for Unity 3D.

-Kevin