[GRLUG] Android scare tactics article

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Sun Nov 27 23:58:15 EST 2011

The thing they don't mention, which I think is significant, is that most
legitimate apps "require" a lot more permissions than they really need.
It wouldn't surprise me if the only app I have on my phone that didn't
insist on both "unlimited Internet access" and "read/write SD card" is
the one that lets me use the camera flash LED as a flashlight! Users are
used to allowing a long list of permissions whenever they install much
of anything, so that's not much protection. Google Market's track record
of avoiding malware might be pretty good, but I don't like relying on it
as the only line of defense available.