[GRLUG] cell phone question

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 01:37:47 EST 2011

We've been using T-Mobile WiFi calling for several years now. Most of
our calls and data connections have been over the WiFi connection, and
we appreciate the unlimited service. Some echo and delays, but most
calls are perfect. Not sure the problem isn't one of the phones. I
really appreciate the WiFi service when I'm in a hole like Lee
Lammert's basement. He installed a Spring femtocell recently, so any
CDMA should work there now.

We used Nokia flip phones at first, switched to Optimus-T in June.
Same model as the one being offered by Republic.

Republic sounds interesting, and we're considering signing up for the
beta. We'd make up the early termination fee within 10 months or so,
which is not so bad.

Our main concern is whether Republic will survive, in which case we
would lose our T-Mobile HotSpot calling plan. No reason to expect
failure, just being prudent. Don't know how to determine likelihood of
success in advance.

--Don Ellis