[GRLUG] cell phone question

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 22:13:40 EST 2011

I've used an android phone w/o a plan at all, tied to my Google Voice
account via a $4 app called Groove IP for some time.  So long as I
have wifi, I can make and receive calls and texts perfectly.

I've used both the LG Optimus V and Motorola Triumph from Virgin
Mobile.  Both are excellent phones - easily rooted, with unofficial
Cyanogenmod builds that work fantastically.  If you'd like to buy
service for a month, for some reason, $35 nets you 300 minutes,
unlimited data and texts, no contract.

Kroger's iWireless, and Cricket Wireless have similarly inexpensive plans.

--tim