[GRLUG] e-Books rule at Amazon

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu May 19 16:31:37 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Ron Lauzon <rlauzon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 03:59 PM, John Wesorick wrote:
>>
>> I just thought I'd throw this out there. The eBook manager Calibre can
>> strip DRM from all ebooks formats, I think (although I don't have any
>> experience with it). So, there's that...
>
> No, it can't.  It can strip DRM for some formats for now.
>
> But, if you read the agreement when you "bought" the eBook, you didn't buy
> it and you don't have the right to strip off the DRM.

Which all hinges on whether or not EULAs are enforceable. And court
rulings have been weakening the significance of website ToS, too.

Been a while since this flamewar was resurrected. Personally, I think
EULAs should be treated as enforceable contracts if agreed to, and ToS
should also have weight (to the extent where a provider can decline to
serve you unless you comply)