[GRLUG] Saturday Social

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 08:36:35 EDT 2011

Ok, it looks like I'm going to make it. I may make it as early as 2PM.

I'll be bringing what's left of my 1000ft spool of Cat6[1], some
decent[2] Cat6 cable ends, and as many of my crimpers as I can
find[3].

If you want to learn how to make a network cable, come on down. If you
already know, grab a crimper and come on down.

Since I don't have a good network tester that'll detect packet loss
and such, we'll need to settle on a couple laptops with gigabit nics
which can run iperf[4], and push UDP back and forth across the cable.

[1] In other words, most of it. Probably > 800ft left.
[2] If the end _assembles_ like a Cat5 end, it's either a Cat5 end, or
it's one of the PITA Cat6 ends that I've had almost zero luck
assembling properly. If it's a Cat6 end, the stupid thing has an
internal per-wire alternating conduit bend that requires a stiffer
wire and steadier hands than mine.
[3] Meaning anywhere between 0 and 3.
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iperf