[GRLUG] Thunderbird on Win7

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Tue Mar 15 07:37:58 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 20:17 -0500, Philip J. Robar wrote:
> knecht:~ pjrobar$ telnet mail.omnis.com 587 <----- NOTE: A space
> between the address and port number—not a colon.
> Trying 216.239.128.27...
> Connected to mail.omnis.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 relay.omnis.com ESMTP Postfix - (mail-hub-b.omnis.com)
> ehlo test.com
> <------ That's how you say hello to a mail server, it returns a list
> of features it supports.
> 250-mail-hub-b.omnis.com
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-SIZE 20480000
> 250-VRFY
> 250-ETRN
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
> 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250 DSN
> ^]
>
> >From the above it's clear that port 587 at telnet.omnis.com is open,
> that the mail server supports TLS: "250-STARTTLS" and that it's
> expecting a plain, unencrypted user name and password.

Thanks to all for the help. I think in the end my problem was trying to
use the 'SSL/TLS' setting rather than the "StartTLS' setting, since the
less-than-helpful folks at Omnis had said nothing about 'StartTLS,' only
to use TLS. They also provided no indication of what form of login to
use.

My next problem was recovering my old emails from the accounts I had
deleted. Searching the various Thunderbird info and forum sources with
phrases like 'import old account emails' and 'recover emails from old
accounts' did not turn up anything.

Anyway I found where they were. This is indicated in Thunderbird at
Account Settings -> Server Settings -> Local Directory. At the indicated
location, one sees several sub-directories for the various accounts one
has created. These are under the Mail sub-dir under the Profile sub-dir,
and include the deleted accounts. So I opened the sub-dir for
mail.researchintegration.org, re-named various files (Inbox, Inbox.msf,
Sent, Sent.msf) to x-old and x-old.msf, etc. and copied them into the
mail.omnis.com folder. Seems to have worked fine.

Thanks again.
EB