[GRLUG] Job searches - any good tips?

Dagny Scott parsleyfirefly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:03:07 EDT 2011

If you're getting interviews, you meet their requirements ... often they
will have someone from inside in mind, even if they're required to do an
interview process.

Most companies aren't going to start people off as system administrators;
they'll start them in the help desk or another low-level position. Don't
discount these if they're for a good company.

One reason Lansing has more openings than GR is that Liquid Web is there;
they're a major hosting provider and often hiring Windows and Linux admins
(if you know some of both that's a bonus too for starting jobs). If you want
to get into the much-touted Grand Rapids "tech center" thing you'd better
have a medical background.

Dagny