[GRLUG] Ben's video editing pdf & a question

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:42:52 EST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:38 AM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 01:33:23AM +0000, Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM, John-Thomas Richards
>> <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm actually less concerned about converting to another format.  vlc can
>> > play a VOB just fine (and I don't want any loss of quality).  The
>> > problem is watching a specific episode is difficult because a VOB
>> > doesn't match up with an episode.  If I had sufficient disk space I
>> > would simply use dvdbackup and keep all the extra features though I
>> > would really prefer having an individual file for each episode
>> > (something like `Stargate_SG1_S01E01_Children_of_the_Gods.mpg').
>>
>> The output of dvdbackup is a folder which is equivalent to a mounted
>> DVD filesystem. You can treat that as an ISO with mplayer and VLC;
>> that's how I watched my ripped discs.
>
> mplayer and vlc are great apps.  However, each folder will hold only a
> few episodes, thus requiring lots of movement in and out of folders to
> find the episode you want.  By having one file per episode each season's
> episodes can be in one folder.

I think you misunderstand me. The output of dvdbackup is a VIDEO_TS
folder somewhere on your disk (wherever you told it to put it)

You can open that *folder* as you would an ISO image. I.e. "mplayer
/path/to/some/folder/containing/the/VIDEO_TS/folder/"

> Would something like MythTV be able to traverse all the directories so
> that such copied DVDs are available via menu?

I don't know. I assume so, but the last time I looked at MythTV, it
was "by programmers, for programmers" -- meaning the setup was a Royal
pain.