[GRLUG] ASUSTek WL-330ge

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 17:06:34 EST 2011

At the Saturday Social, BK asked about hardware support on Debian.
Short answer, Debian can do just about anything Ubuntu can do, within
the limits of differing kernel versions and potential need for binary
drivers.

The most visible support churn is with video and networking. Regarding
the networking aspect, one workaround (for cases where the physical
wireless chipset doesn't work, or where there simply isn't a driver
available), I mentioned wired/wireless bridges. At one point, I taped
one to the back of my grandmother's laptop screen when her wireless
chipset failed.

I really like the ASUSTek WL-330ge; I've got two.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=9H8EmdWucHDpYOb8

It's 802.11bg on the wireless side, and 100 megabit on the wired side.
I wish I could find an 802.11n version with gigabit on the wired side,
but these still work well. They've also got great range.