[GRLUG] The Geek Group Has a New Lab

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 15:28:13 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> No problem, but at some number of people
> the conversations break down in to smaller
> groups.  Unless you're having a lecture, I
> doubt a bigger turnout adds much.

When someone first shows up at such an event, they're likely to be
unsure what's going on, and need at least a small amount of
orientation. "Walk in, find someone and talk to them" isn't especially
informative. That's one of the reasons Ben referred to me as a 'random
conversation generator' ... I talk to people, get them to talk about
what they're interested in, find any mutual interests, etc. People who
overhear are then likely to step in then (or a few minutes later), and
people chat amongst themselves.

I can do that with perhaps two or three people at a time, at most.
Once people have a minimum amount of mutual familiarity, the
break-up-into-small-groups works pretty well. As long as folks stay in
the same general vicinity, the groups intermingle and chat some more.