[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - LUS

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Fri Feb 18 04:43:03 EST 2011

On 02/17/2011 07:10 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> The combination of municipally-granted monopolies and utility
>> companies reminds me of a recent story in West Michigan where a guy
>> was {fined|evicted|home condemned} (I don't recall which) because he
>> wasn't attached to municipal utilities in his area. It wasn't that his
>> home was unsanitary, unsafe, or polluting nearby areas, he just wasn't
>> attached to the grid, law required that he be attached to the grid,
>> and so he got in trouble.
> I have no problem with this [given the lack of details].  Above a level
> of population density it is virtually impossible to have a modern
> dwelling [of reasonable cost] that is sanitary, safe, non-polluting,
> *and* off-the-grid.  His waste water and excrement have to go somewhere.
> I have zero problem with my local municipal authorities running these
> people straight out of town.  There are sound reasons I can't raise pigs
> in my 1/2 acre back yard two miles from downtown.
It just said West Michigan and that he wasn't polluting, and there are
areas of West Michigan that are pretty remote. Have you never heard of a
private well or septic tank system? You don't even have to be very
remote to run them, and it doesn't require a huge amount of land, just
more than your 1/2 acre. If he had solar panels or something for
electricity and heated with wood or fuel oil there would be no reason to
connect to the grid.