[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - LUS

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 20:59:19 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 14:25 +0000, Michael Mol wrote:
>>> The combination of municipally-granted monopolies and utility
>>> companies reminds me of a recent story in West Michigan where a guy
>>> was {fined|evicted|home condemned} (I don't recall which) because he
>>> wasn't attached to municipal utilities in his area. It wasn't that his
>>> home was unsanitary, unsafe, or polluting nearby areas, he just wasn't
>>> attached to the grid, law required that he be attached to the grid,
>>> and so he got in trouble.
>>
>> I have no problem with this [given the lack of details].  Above a level
>> of population density it is virtually impossible to have a modern
>> dwelling [of reasonable cost] that is sanitary, safe, non-polluting,
>> *and* off-the-grid.  His waste water and excrement have to go somewhere.
>> I have zero problem with my local municipal authorities running these
>> people straight out of town.  There are sound reasons I can't raise pigs
>> in my 1/2 acre back yard two miles from downtown.
>
> I can't find the article, but I recall this guy had a motorhome, a
> drainage field (much like my parents have, as do some friends of mine
> just on the west side of Kenowa Ave), and a piece of property large
> enough to have a river come through it, which was where he obtained
> his water.

Ok, I found the article, and some personal anecdotes surrounding. The
guy was 72 years old, in Madison County, IN and in good health.

He did not have a drainage field, but he did live on 38 acres of his
own land. He also apparently was rude to the judge presiding over the
case, and I don't imagine that helped...

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/north_central/madison-county-evicts-man-from-trailer