[GRLUG] Co-location hosting in or near GR/Muskegon

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:54:30 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Mike Williams <knightperson at zuzax.com> wrote:
> I'm curious. Why insist on colocating your own hardware at that kind of
> price when you can rent a virtual machine from a cloud provider like
> Amazon's S3 much more cheaply? Is there some specialized hardware on the
> machines that can't be virtualized, or maybe security fears?

I can't speak for Bruce, but generally people co-locate for one of two
reasons: 1. You actually control your own hardware instead of a
virtual machine ultimately owned by someone else in a far-off land. 2.
You can have much larger amounts of RAM and especially HD in your own
server compared to what you can usually get from a VPS for the same
price.

> On 02/13/2011 04:30 PM, Clay Ashby wrote:
>
> I'm interested in the details. I'm planning on doing some hosting services
> in the future. Is this purely for redundancy; like a "hot site"? Is it for
> hosting websites redundantly, or other services as well?
>
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Bruce Smith <blubdog at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I was wondering if anyone of you knew of any decently priced co-location
>> > hosting in the Grand Rapids or Muskegon area. The need is non-commercial
>> > so
>> > price is a BIG factor, but I would be willing to pay if the price is
>> > right.
>> > If you want more details on my needs, feel free to ask.
>>
>> I'm in Kalamazoo and a couple years ago we searched for a nearby
>> co-location facility that is cheap.  We searched Kalamazoo, Grand
>> Rapids, Lansing, and other areas within a driving distance of
>> Kalamazoo.
>>
>> Most were in the $400/month range, which is what was more that we
>> wanted to pay.  The closest thing we found that was "cheap", was a
>> place in South Bend IN. who's equivalent price was $70/month.  It was
>> a farther drive for us (and even farther for you), but we went with
>> them and it's worked out okay so far.  It's nothing fancy (kinda dumpy
>> actually).  Just an old building in an old part of town, with cheap
>> racks in a large room.  But they had good bandwidth, power backup and
>> A/C.  Definitely a budget shop, and their prices reflect it
>> significantly.
>>
>> Let me know if you want more info.
>>
>>  - BS
>>
>> --