[GRLUG] Debian Release Party

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Feb 4 16:21:19 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 11:32:38AM -0800, John Harig wrote:
> I installed Mint Debian Edition for my parent's computer.  It is
> basically Debian Squeeze + Mint repositories (for mint menus, fonts,
> colors . . .  to make it visually appealing by default).  They haven't
> had any problems with it.
>
> It was really amazing how much faster their old computer was with Mint
> Debian Edition over a default Ubuntu install (both with Gnome).  You
> do need to do a little more initial configuring (I had to install
[snip]

I read an article shortly after LMDE was released wherein one of the
developers also expressed surprise at how much faster Mint is based on
Debian than based on Ubuntu.

To answer Bob's question about why, Ubuntu installs a lot of cruft—think
Windows with nearly every service installed and running by default.
Debian tends toward a much cleaner install, hence offering more system
resources to the user.  I had Ubuntu installed on a fairly powerful
laptop for my wife.  When I installed Debian instead I was shocked at
how much snappier it felt.  In fact, the system temp ran about 30°
cooler!  The CPU was not taxed by the interface in Debian as it was in
Ubuntu (both running GNOME).
--
john-thomas
------