[GRLUG] Remove data from failing hard drive

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 21 11:44:10 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 11:32 -0500, Casey DuBois wrote:
> I have a failing hard drive with all of my important items backed up
> to it.
> I can barely get it to recognize the drive and it will not copy from
> it.
> I've heard about putting the drive in the freezer and then trying...
> anyone done this? how long do I leave it in?

Yes, being cold can sometimes help.  I'd just leave it in overnight - in
a sealed plastic container to keep out moisture [frost bad].

Does the drive not spin-up?  If it is a spin-up issue it frequently
works to keep the drive cool/cold and upon applying power to gently
thunk on the drive with something like the handle of a screw driver
until you hear spin-up.  This is typically the fix if upon power-on you
hear a brrrtttt and then nothing work [out of round bearings are jamming
the take-off of the platter].

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>