[GRLUG] screen not recovering

Clay Ashby kingpoiuy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 09:56:52 EST 2010

Ya must be a kernel thing cause I have the same problem on mu Ubuntu server
if I swap out monitors.

--Sent from my android.

On Nov 25, 2010 9:06 AM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

I've seen similar on Arch Linux lately. I finally discovered that using
Ctrl-Alt-F(N) keys to switch between virtual terminals got things
working for me again.

In the process of discovering a workaround, I also saw something really
weird...the blinking cursor of a text VT, with Xorg's mouse cursor drawn
and live.

I think it's representative of a bug in the kernel's new 'modesetting'
behavior. I don't know the details on how that's supposed to work, but I
believe it has to do with userland applications being able to ask the
kernel to change display resolutions. (Replacing, I guess, things like
svgalib and FrameBuffer apps.)