[GRLUG] Android PDA

Matthew Seeley matthew at threadlight.com
Mon May 3 23:13:35 EDT 2010

>From experience as well (although I don't mess with the API's much,
mine are mostly silly little projects) :

One of the coolest things I've seen is how they've made the
development super easy to get started. You can begin writing your
application, without installing anything, without even owning a Palm
device, by heading to http://ares.palm.com and develop right in the
browser. (It's a good experience, Palm hired the Mozilla Bespin guys
to write it). Then, if you install the SDK, you can actually use the
Browser IDE to send compiled, installed apps straight to your phone,
with one click.

(You can, of course, download the full SDK and develop on your local
machine too, and do all compile / packaging / distribution locally, if
you want.)

The UI toolkit has a GUI builder built in too. So really, the only
'hard' parts involved are those API calls, and learning their default
apps structure (it's a heavy-handed, and while not required, I think
most people use it anyway).

-- Matt