[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband test

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 16:40:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org
> >
> > wrote:

> >> That is fast.  I guess my unspoken point is that I don't think I trust
> >> those numbers.  3,564kbps *upload*?  Bah.
> >> --
> >> john-thomas
> >> ------
> >
> > What are the nominal up/down rates of
> > you package?
> > I've seen just under 5Mbps up when
> > uploading to Comcast.  You can take
> > a file of known size and try this - there
> > isn't much room for error if you time it
> > yourself.
> >    -- Bob
> >

> As I mentioned earlier, if you have Comcast, you have SpeedBoost. If
> you have SpeedBoost, your transfer rate cap changes over the course of
> the transfer.  A 1MB file will have a different average transfer rate
> from a 1GB file, because that 1GB file will see a throughput drop
> somewhere early into the file.  What you *really* want to do is
> measure your throughput along 10s intervals over the course of a 2min
> transfer.  You should be able to find where SpeedBoost drops out
> there.

Indeed.  Speedboost give a 25% boost.

Time?  Clearly if it didn't cut out you'd
have a higher speed service.  I don't have
a hard number handy, but it takes a pretty
large file to get past it.  The goal seems to
be to provide the higher speed for a large
fraction of what you do, and in my experience
it does that.

But it doesn't seem to be that simple.
Downloading large things, like a Linux
distribution, I've also seen the speed go
substantially above the nominal rate, well
in to the transfer.

I've also seen rates of 34 Mbps early on
a weekend morning.  I still have the tests.
It seems that Comcast was testing something.
Again, I could download a large file, and
directly test the rates - I didn't simply rely
on someone's speed-o-meter.

Now one can go on and on about what all
this means when Comcast's 40 Mbps per
300 customers ( I've also read 50 Mbps
per 400 customers ) kicks in during the day.

    -- Bob