[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband test

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 15:13:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org>
> wrote:

>> > That it fast my from AT&T U-verse:
>> >
>> > 5752 kbps download and 939 kbps upload.
>>
>> That is fast.  I guess my unspoken point is that I don't think I trust
>> those numbers.  3,564kbps *upload*?  Bah.
>> --
>> john-thomas
>> ------
>
> What are the nominal up/down rates of
> you package?
> I've seen just under 5Mbps up when
> uploading to Comcast.  You can take
> a file of known size and try this - there
> isn't much room for error if you time it
> yourself.
>    -- Bob

As I mentioned earlier, if you have Comcast, you have SpeedBoost. If
you have SpeedBoost, your transfer rate cap changes over the course of
the transfer.  A 1MB file will have a different average transfer rate
from a 1GB file, because that 1GB file will see a throughput drop
somewhere early into the file.  What you *really* want to do is
measure your throughput along 10s intervals over the course of a 2min
transfer.  You should be able to find where SpeedBoost drops out
there.