[GRLUG] Ubuntu, Grub :"No filesystem found: Grub Rescue>"

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Jul 14 12:27:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 06:01:31AM -0400, bcreswel at morrison-ind.com wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> For the 3rd time since using Ubuntu 10.04, I have come to my laptop
> with a frozen screen, and rebooted to find
>
> No filesystem found
> grub rescue>
>
> I have not found a decent explanation, as to what this his or how to

One advantage GRUB has over LILO is GRUB is file-system aware.  That
means that one could, from within GRUB, manually config the boot command
by seeing what is in the filesystem (ie, /boot/).  In your case GRUB
cannot find the filesystem, hence the message and the `grub rescue'
prompt.  If the problem were a GRUB config issue, you'd get a `grub'
prompt.  `grub rescue' is the first stage before it reads the
filesystem.

> do. Each time I have re-installed.
> Just want to know -
>
> 1. Is this (the no filesystem message) rub just getting scrambled?
> Is there a different fix than a re-install?

If you boot from the Ubuntu Live / Install disc, does it find and mount
the filesystem?  In other words, have you confirmed the filesystem is
truly missing / scrambled?  Is the problem the filesystem or is it GRUB?

> 2. Is this just a bad hard drive, and  good excuse to try the
> TigerDirect special that came today for a 96Gb SSD for $169?

$169?  Yes, it's a good excuse.  :-)

> 3. Is this just bad hardware overall, and time for a new laptop?
>
> For now, installing openSuse - figuring it's the 3rd strike, but I
> want to be fair if it seems it's actuallly a simple problem relating
> to failing older hardware. (Acer 5570 with IGMA)
>
> Thanks for listening. Gotta check on the install.
>
> Bill

Well, that will make it hard to know if the filesystem was actually
corrupted.  ;-)
--
john-thomas
------