[GRLUG] CUPS error

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Jul 12 15:08:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:42:40AM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 09:58 -0400, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> > I'm running CUPS on Debian Squeeze.  Printing does not work.  When I try
> > to access https://127.0.0.1:631/admin I get this error
> > Secure Connection Failed
> > An error occurred during a connection to 127.0.0.1:631.
> > SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
> > (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)
> > Googling for "debian squeeze cups ssl_error_rx_record_too_long" returns
> > just 35 hits.
> > Restarting CUPS doesn't fix the problem.  Any ideas?
>
> Yep, https://*:631,  use http://*:631
>
> "ssl_error_rx_record_too_long" is caused by attempting to perform an
> encrypted request to a non-encrypted resource.
>
> Browser's don't typically support TLS-upgrade, only SSL and non-SSL.
> https://*:80 might work, but https://*:631 won't.

I was able to view the CUPS interface with http://, however, I've used
https:// in the past (that's what came up in Firefox's awesome bar).
Also, some of the links in the CUPS interface point to my localhost's
local name.  For example, when I click on the "laserjet" printer name,
the link takes me to http://rondo:0/printers/laserjet.  rondo is the
name of my localhost and port 0 is, well, port 0.  I'm not sure what got
messed up in this.  In addition, clicking on things doesn't change
things.  I clicked on "cancel" for a print job and it won't actually
cancel.  Nothing seems to change when I try to do any administrative
functions, including deleting a printer.
--
john-thomas
------