[GRLUG] off-topic: HP printer woes

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Jul 2 17:10:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:13:20AM -0400, Joel Freiberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org>wrote:
>
> > I just purchased and HP OfficeJet 4500 (without wireless).  When I
> > connect it to my router I get nothing.  Zip.  No connection.  I can use
> > the ethernet cable and connect my laptop and get an IP address.  The
> > problem, then, seems to be in the printer.  I just got it today.  I've
> > tried manually configuring the IP stuff and trying DHCP.  Nada.  Google
> > has frustrated me.  Do any of you have any tips for getting this thing
> > to connect to my network?
> > --
> > john-thomas
>
> So you've activated DHCP and it doesn't draw an address?  My guess is the
> nic card then, on the 4500 it's pretty simple to swap and I don't remember
> them being very expensive.

Let me add a bit more detail.  I purchased the printer online
(staples.com).  It didn't work.  I couldn't get it to receive an address
via DHCP or work with a static address.  After spending far too much
time on the phone with HP, they suggested I return it to a Staples store
for another.  This is the second one.  I've used the same port and
ethernet cable to connect a laptop to the router and successfully
received an IP address.  I'm sure the problem is not with my router or
cable.  The IP configuration on the printer is very, very limited.  The
options are to restart networking, automatic configuration (DHCP), or
manual configuration.

I'm this -----> <----- close to returning it altogether.  It works fine
via USB cable, but that defeats the idea of a network printer.  It's a
shame, really.  With HPLIP scanning and faxing and printing work
swimmingly.  Just not via the network.
--
john-thomas
------