[GRLUG] OpenOffice.org as Access replacement

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 14:27:20 EST 2010

Back when I was taking a database class at Ferris, I tried using OO.org
Base to create a prototype for what I needed to put in DB2. Not a
functional prototype, just a GUI visualization of the tables and
relationships.

Without even getting to the "run a query" state of things, I had Base
crash a rather large number of times. That left a bad taste in my mouth.
  However, all that was three-four years ago, and they may have fixed
things up since then.

Just about every general programming language has database bindings
these days.  If all you want is something that could be serviced by
Access, pick a language you're familiar with and use its DB bindings to
put your data into an SQLite back-end. (SQLite can be more or less
summarized as a single-program database that runs within your process
and saves your data to a file on disk.)  SQLite itself is
cross-platform; It's used in Firefox, a variety of programs on my Linux
desktop at home, and we use it as a processing engine in a diagnostics
analyzer Windows app we built at work.

SQLite is written for C, but there are bindings for a large number of
languages.

Some resources:
http://www.sqlite.org/

(To see how it may be done natively in a particular language.  Pity
there's no Python there yet.)
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Parameterized_SQL_Statement

(If you feel inclined to try accessing the SQLte library directly from a
non-C/C++ language.)
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Call_foreign_language_function