[GRLUG] OpenOffice.org as Access replacement

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Fri Jan 15 09:30:38 EST 2010

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Benjamin Flanders wrote:

> I'm looking at creating a simple database with a front end.  Nothing
> fancy just want to keep track of a board game that I play.  Has anyone
> used OO.org Base and has any tips, or where to look for documentation,
> any good books?

Have not played with it for a few versions, but last time I did OOBase was
OK as a 'form builder' - you built a form in the editor, and then ran it
against a database you had configured.

It is definatly ***NOT*** Access, however, as there is neither IDE, nor
Wizards (e.g. Query, Report).

> I assume it would should be written in Starbasic, but googling it, I
> see you can use many languages.  Not being proficient in any of them
> (including Starbasic), would it be better to learn , say, python and
> the Uno interfaces, then to write it in Starbasic?

If you're writing a UI in Python, for what would you need OOBase? IME,
OOBase is a tool to allow you to create a user form, NOT an application
development environment like Access (which is a simplified VB).

> Should I skip using OO.org Base and instead look into another
> solution?  I would like to learn something cross platform so I could
> do projects for work as well.

PHP would be a good starting point, as it is mainstream for the web
community; or, if you want 'nice' code, go Rails/Ruby.

Speakihg of which, you could create a simple CRID app with Rails in
about 10 minutes.

	Lee