[GRLUG] "network is unreachable"

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Thu Feb 11 15:03:05 EST 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Bob Kline wrote:

> Does this much suggest anything to try
> to anyone?  I've power cycled, but some
> software might be missing, and when
> I come back up I have to run ifconfig again
> to set things up.
>
>    -- Bob

Based on what others have already offered up and what you've already
done, here's my stab:

1) The obvious: have you eliminated the physical connection
(unseat/seat the cable, swap cables, change ports on your
switch/router/hub, etc.) as the cause?

2) Have you tried pinging an outside IP address?  Perhaps just your
DNS server itself is broken.

3) Do you have any iptables rules set up (intentionally or not)?  Try
deleting the rules if so.

4) I'm not familiar with NetworkManager, wicd, or the other packages
others are referring to and you mention that dhcpd is not installed.
Have you tried giving yourself a static IP address and configuring
your routes manually?

5) Not network related precisely, but have you looked
in /var/log/messages, dmesg, etc. for any clues?

Good luck,
Roberto