[GRLUG] "real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ; ) "

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 17:12:01 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Ben DeMott <ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Linus admitted that when his invention was ridiculed by the creator of Minx
> it was the hardest, and most difficult time to continue in development. In
> fact he stopped posting in the Minx boards for some times.
>
> Not everyone is thick skinned, and as bone-headed as some of us (myself
> included) - All I can ask is we approach ideas with temperance.

I'm not saying it's better to be mean; I'm as sensitive to harsh
comments as any one else. But given a choice between the creator of
Minix telling me my operating system is a bad idea, and having him
saying nothing, I'd rather have the unpleasant opinion. If you really
believe in your wild and crazy idea, you should look for useful advice
in his comments and take his criticism as a challenge. At any rate, by
responding, he has opened himself up to a further dialogue, which I
think we can all agree is a good thing.

> As to the Bit Torrent thing:

I think there'd be much more buy-in to joining the torrent if the data
were available for use by the end user. Why must the data be
encrypted? I mean why not let me take the tarball and run it on my
netbook so I can have an offline copy?

--
  Ben Rousch
  brousch at gmail.com