[GRLUG] "real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ; ) "

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 17:23:34 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's in it for us?
> ( joke )

Not as much of a joke as you might think; The first responses I've had
from other places I've asked weren't joking when they asked that.

Intellectual stimulation? I asked for thoughts, not swarm members.

I already know a few people who'd likely voluntarily point their seed
boxes at the private RSS feed, more than a few I could automate an SCP
or rsync to, and one guy who offered to host the whole site.

I could have each of these as a backup target, but it comes back to
insufficient trust with unencrypted data (where GPG helps) or
redundant transfer of data (which bittorrent helps.)

> Why not just use a RAID setup?

I'm sure that, underlying RCo's Linode, there already is a RAID array.
RAID is not a backup, it just helps guard against downtime. It
wouldn't protect against rm -rf /, or a total box failure.

> To get it off premises?

All of RCo's backup targets are "off premises," meaning they leave the
area of Linode's NOC.

> How much data are "we" talking about?
Right now a lump backup of Rosetta Code's interesting data hovers around 1GB.