[GRLUG] Recovering a stolen computer over the Internet

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 07:03:49 EST 2010

(No, I'm not suggesting this as an "anyone could do this solution")

As I'm reading up on DNS, and planning deployment of IPv6 at home, I
found myself looking at using DHCP, DNSSEC and rdnc to ensure that,
e.g. saffron.firefly.michael.mol.name has its A record updated every
time she's attached to my network.

That's a convenient, relatively universal solution; if a Windows
machine attaches itself to my network, it usually will include its
machine in its DHCP requests, and so my dhcpd can add/update an A
record to my zone.

With a bit more personal attention, the dhclient.post cycle could do
the same thing. It may have to, if I want the automatic domain
maintenance to extend to IPv6. (I'd have to go back and re-read
exactly what role DHCPv6 plays (or work with the ifup script); IPv6
systems are normally supposed to choose their own IPv6 addresses based
on router advertisements and their own MAC address.