[GRLUG] Caviar black & green

Dan Pilcheck pilcheck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 16:33:50 EST 2010

Bob,

I have one of each in use at home,
I keep my music and visuals on the black,
my apps and occasionals on the blue,
and the backups &rare accesses on the green.
Generally,
WD Green = 5400 rpm 16mb cache
WD Blue = 7200 rpm 16 mb cache
WD Black = 7200 rpm 32mb cache

I'm led to believe that the green's consume less power.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmmm.  Seagate green.  Now I'm
> wondering what the black and green is
> all about if it's not just a WD thing.
> Overall it appears you've gotten a lot
> of bang for the buck with the greens.
> A "few years" in a RAID5 setup sounds
> like pretty good service for $60.
>     --  Bob
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've had one Black 1TB out of three fail on me in the last year. It
>> was part of a RAID0 at first, and most recently was part of an
>> unstriped LVM volume group. We've still got most of a dozen or so
>> 200GB Caviar Greens still floating around in various roles at the
>> office. They spent a few years as part of a large RAID5, prior. I have
>> no real complaints against the caviar line.
>>
>> Now, I'll heartily *recommend* Seagate 1.5TB greens; they survived a
>> RAID5 I put them in for about a year, and are still alive in other
>> roles. (That same RAID5 set had to undergo at least three rebuilds
>> because of administrator failure, and of failure of other hardware
>> components.)
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Anyone have any war stories about
>> > WD Caviar blank & green hard drives?
>> > The green drives are cheap.  Less than half the
>> > price of same capacity black drives.
>> > So what might be the downside?
>> >    -- Bob
>> >
>> > --
>> > This message has been scanned for viruses and
>> > dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>> > believed to be clean.
>> >

>> --
>> :wq
>>
>> --
>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not a statistical
chance but rather a by-product of our own will?
That from here on out, nature stops deciding who survives and who
doesn't, but our own decisions?