[GRLUG] Caviar black & green

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 16:31:43 EST 2010

The primary difference is performance, as far as I know. It's still
considered a consumer-grade drive.

There are some amusing quirks with the Seagate Barracuda (Erp. Not
"green", though the label is. That's probably how I got confused.)
1.5TB drives' firmware. My "head flying hours" are (or were, for a
long time) greater than my "power on hours". Nowhere *near* as bad as
SAMSUNG hard drives and firmware. Next time I consider buying one of
those, please LART me.

shortcircuit at serenity~
16:32:40 $ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
[sudo] password for shortcircuit:
smartctl 5.40 2010-07-12 r3124 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
Device Model:     ST3500630AS
Serial Number:    [Omitted]
Firmware Version: 3.AAE
User Capacity:    500,107,862,016 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   7
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Wed Dec 15 16:32:52 2010 EST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82) Offline data collection activity
                                        was completed without error.
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
                                        without error or no self-test has ever
                                        been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                 ( 430) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                        Auto Offline data collection
on/off support.
                                        Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                        command.
                                        Offline surface scan supported.
                                        Self-test supported.
                                        No Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                        Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                        power-saving mode.
                                        Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                        General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        ( 163) minutes.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   119   090   006    Pre-fail
Always       -       231132179
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   094   093   000    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age
Always       -       189
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   088   060   030    Pre-fail
Always       -       685054651
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   081   081   000    Old_age
Always       -       16822
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age
Always       -       246
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       0
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   064   053   045    Old_age
Always       -       36 (Lifetime Min/Max 34/42)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   036   047   000    Old_age
Always       -       36 (0 17 0 0)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   062   051   000    Old_age
Always       -       117975149
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age
Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age
Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age
Offline      -       0
202 Data_Address_Mark_Errs  0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age
Always       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     16592         -
# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     15385         -
# 3  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     15320         -
# 4  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     14517         -
# 5  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     14513         -
# 6  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     13364         -
# 7  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     12896         -
# 8  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     12878         -
# 9  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     12832         -
#10  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     11754         -
#11  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     11472         -
#12  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     10550         -
#13  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     10384         -
#14  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      9835         -
#15  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      9544         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.