[GRLUG] NVIDIA vs. ATI

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 23:18:47 EDT 2010

To be totally honest, I'd recommend NVidia. I haven't had notable
trouble in the past getting ATI *working*, but:

* ATI's proprietary drivers have been lacking in stability on both
Windows and Linux for as far back as I have knowledge of it. (-1 ATI)
* NVidia's proprietary drivers have tended to be stable on both
Windows and Linux (+1 NVidia)
* The open source ATI drivers have done a decent job working for
chipsets a year old and older. (+1 ATI)
* There are no well-functioning open-source NVidia drivers with
support for 3D acceleration. (That I know of.) (-1 NVidia)
* ATI has discontinued its proprietary drivers, stating that the
Open-Source ones are Good Enough. I don't know whether or not that's
true, but all open-source video drivers for ATI and NVidia have a
catch-up time for the latest hardware. (-1 ATI)

Total score:
* ATI: -1
* NVidia: 0.

So this isn't a recommendation *for* NVidia, but more *against* ATI.
Intel's IGP chipsets have tended to work for me with open-source
drivers. My only complaint against Intel video chipsets for graphics
is that the Xorg folks stopped supporting the older ones. (Though
others would correctly point out that Intel's IGP trails both ATI's
and NVidia's offerings by a wide gap.)