[GRLUG] /etc/resolv.conf

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Aug 9 21:27:36 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 09:14:30PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> Not sure I follow.  OK, I'm sure I don't.
>
> Why would the nameserver addresses
> be changed in /etc/resolv.conf?  i.e., I
> specifically want the Google name servers.

The DHCP server provides not only your IP address, but the DNS server
address(es).  Since the DNS server info is stored in /etc/resolv.conf
your DHCP client necessarily overwrites the data you manually input into
that file, unless you configure your client to do otherwise.  However...

> I commented out the "search"  and "domain"
> entries out of /var/lib/dhcpcd and /var/lib/wicd.
> Maybe that will stop the changes.
>
>    -- Bob

Since my router is my DHCP server I have it configured with OpenDNS
server info so that my computers (all DHCP clients) receive the router's
IP as the DNS server, rather than Comcast's.  The OpenDNS servers are
much faster than Comcast's DNS servers.

[snip]
--
john-thomas