[GRLUG] VOIP "Dialtone"

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Apr 28 14:54:17 EDT 2010

At 01:38 PM 4/28/2010, you wrote:

>I currently maintain 2 Asterisk servers in production and 1 for-fun at home.
>If you can program (and I dont), you can configure Asterisk. Don't get me
>wrong, its not easy and I'm certainly no pro. but your project is more than
>suitable for an asterisk box. If you are going analog, thats gonna require a
>little hardware, but you could get a SIP provider and never have to
>touch a line.

Who do you use for your SIP trunks? Ever heard of voipvoip.com? They
seem to have a pretty good deal - $7/mo for a PSTN phone number, free
virtual lines, $.019/minute, no minimum. That's 1300+ minutes before
you get to the $25/month from most VOIP 'flat rate' plans, .. and
that's PER LINE!

>There are about 60 Polycom 301 & 501's around the office, with a few dozen
>incoming copper lines over a T1.

Ahh, .. how do 'incoming copper lines over a T1' relate to VOIP
equipment like Polycom? Am I missing something?

Also, how is the sound quality with Polycom? They seem like a major
vendor in the VOIP marketplace, ..

         Thanks for the info!!!

         Lee