[GRLUG] VOIP "Dialtone"

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 18:35:06 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:29 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Looking to see if we can cut phone costs by ditching the analog
> lines, ..
>
> Most of the companies in the VOIP market (e.g. Vonage, Skype,
> MagicJack, ..) target home service (i.e. no hunt groups), don't save
> much (standard business line ~$25/mo), .. much less allow fax service
> from what I have seen.
>
> Hosted VOIP solutions are much more costly than analog lines, .. so
> it seems like the best solution might be to drop in an Asterisk box
> with 10-12 SIP phones, but what/how/where does one get "VOIP
> Dialtone" at a reasonable cost/feature/quality?

We're using VoicePulse for trunking, with an in-house Asterisk box. No
complaints about VoicePulse.

One thing to be careful of, though, is that you have enough bandwidth
available to handle as many concurrent in-out connections as you
intend to use. We're looking at Colo'ing our Asterisk box along with a
few other things, as I move towards a long-distance telecommute
arrangement.