[GRLUG] Canon scanners.

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:07:10 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org
> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 00:54 -0400, Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> > peyeps at iserv.net wrote:
> > > Stupid question, regarding Canon scanner.  Has anyone ever tried to
> > > install the Canon driver under Wine or Crossover Office?  Use Epson
> > > myself, so don't know personally how to make the Canon work.
> > Nooooooooo!
> > Wine, and by extension Crossover Office, provides a run-time work-alike
> > environment for Windows *applications*. Trying to load device drivers in
> > it ... would be futile at best.
>

> Mmmm, I don't know about that.  Wine has had hooks into at least the HAL
> D-Bus for awhile now - so it is aware of device connect / disconnect
> events.  And given that most USB 'drivers' are user space... seems like
> support USB devices is within the realm of possibility [one wonder why
> else they would subscribe to HAL].
>
> Still think just making SANE work is a better idea.
>
> Agreed.  And it mostly does. My scanner
is 10 years old, and probably just fell through
the cracks.  After contacting the scanner driver
people I suspect it will be eventually be running
like a well oiled machine again for another ten
years.

For 11 years or more I ran MKS Toolkit on a
machine running windoz 98SE.  The opposite
approach of running windoz under Linux, it
runs a Linux-like package under windoz.  With
that and samba I can essentially pretend I'm
on a Linux machine, and yet run any of the
old hardware and packages I have that only
run under windoz.  It's simply the path of least
resistance.  I actually use my machines to
get some things done, so while I largely
despise windoz and M$,  I'm not a purest
where it comes to getting something done.
Easiest and fastest rules, given comparable
results.

But having scanners and printers that run
fine under Linux, that   leaves only the
occasional odd-ball gadget now that only
comes with drivers for Vista or some other
windoz version.  For now, I keep the windoz
machine in another room - it smells a little - and
just use a samba link.

    -- Bob