[GRLUG] Canon scanners.

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Sep 16 06:08:47 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 00:54 -0400, Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> peyeps at iserv.net wrote:
> > Stupid question, regarding Canon scanner.  Has anyone ever tried to
> > install the Canon driver under Wine or Crossover Office?  Use Epson
> > myself, so don't know personally how to make the Canon work.
> Nooooooooo!
> Wine, and by extension Crossover Office, provides a run-time work-alike
> environment for Windows *applications*. Trying to load device drivers in
> it ... would be futile at best.

Mmmm, I don't know about that.  Wine has had hooks into at least the HAL
D-Bus for awhile now - so it is aware of device connect / disconnect
events.  And given that most USB 'drivers' are user space... seems like
support USB devices is within the realm of possibility [one wonder why
else they would subscribe to HAL].

Still think just making SANE work is a better idea.