[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 21:26:50 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Adam Tauno
Williams<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
>> > I can imagine it (for ~$20 a month - http://www.linnode.com/) but I'm
>> > pretty sure almost nobody wants it.
>> http://www.linode.com/
>> Hm.  That might be a good place to bounce to from Slicehost.  A
>> significant performance improvement for a very small increase in
>> price. (If you haven't been following, RC has been having severe
>> growing pains these last couple weeks, thanks to what amounted to a
>> quarter-slashdotting from StumbleUpon.)
>
> Performance is surprisingly good; I only went there after numerous
> positive reviews from other people.
>
> A nice feature is you have the base package and you can add/remove more
> memory/storage/traffic pretty much on-demand.  The extras aren't very
> cheap but in a pinch...
>
>> > The vast majority of people don't want to host their content from their
>> > house.  It is just too inconvenient;  there is a wonderful economy of
>> > scale for data-centers.
>> > But I do want control - the VM-cloud (vs. the Google-Amazon-Cloud
>> > [thinly veiled vendor-lock-in-cloud]) provides the best of both worlds.
>> Perhaps.  I'm of the mind that I'd like to have more say over whose
>> hands touch the hardware my system sits on,
>
> Ah, I'm a sys-admin.  If I never had to touch hardware again I'd be
> thrilled. :)  I just want my services portable.

I love mucking with hardware, but that's unrelated.  My thought is
that the fewer people who have access to the database containing my
users' preferences, password blobs and email addresses, the better.
I've been offered free hosting in a couple different places, one on an
otherwise *unused* machine with four logical Xeon cores and 16GB of
RAM, but I don't know the people who offered well enough to trust them
with that data. (With my daily full, versioned remote backups,
restoring the site to another server after a server takeover would be
nearly trivial, but still...)

Granted, I'm far more likely to be nailed by a Wordpress or MediaWiki
hack, but there's not much I can do about that without dropping those
applications. (Though I am planning to switch away from WP.)