[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - broadband

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Sep 2 21:13:47 EDT 2009

> > I can imagine it (for ~$20 a month - http://www.linnode.com/) but I'm
> > pretty sure almost nobody wants it.
> http://www.linode.com/
> Hm.  That might be a good place to bounce to from Slicehost.  A
> significant performance improvement for a very small increase in
> price. (If you haven't been following, RC has been having severe
> growing pains these last couple weeks, thanks to what amounted to a
> quarter-slashdotting from StumbleUpon.)

Performance is surprisingly good; I only went there after numerous
positive reviews from other people.

A nice feature is you have the base package and you can add/remove more
memory/storage/traffic pretty much on-demand.  The extras aren't very
cheap but in a pinch...

> > The vast majority of people don't want to host their content from their
> > house.  It is just too inconvenient;  there is a wonderful economy of
> > scale for data-centers.
> > But I do want control - the VM-cloud (vs. the Google-Amazon-Cloud
> > [thinly veiled vendor-lock-in-cloud]) provides the best of both worlds.
> Perhaps.  I'm of the mind that I'd like to have more say over whose
> hands touch the hardware my system sits on,

Ah, I'm a sys-admin.  If I never had to touch hardware again I'd be
thrilled. :)  I just want my services portable.

> if only because I don't
> necessarily trust those hands not to touch the software and data on
> the system.

VMs provide a pretty good level of isolation; as an admin I really can't
imagine someone taking the time to muck with the contents.  I'd be more
concerned that the data-center isn't backed up and a hurricane is going
to take it out [my VM is in Dallas or Houston, don't recall which].  But
a periodic rsync can offer some protection from incompetence.

> (Though let's not get into another massive thread about
> privacy concerns and control over one's own local software.)

Yea.  My rule: if you care about it then encrypt it - nowhere is safe.
And if you have people after you with the resources and motivation to
bust asymmetric encryption you are just screwed either way. :)