[GRLUG] Offer to Host Meeting

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 21:03:18 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Three or four years ago Eric H.
> would open up a lab at ITT and
> let people bring machines, and
> just have install fests, and whatever
> else people wanted to do.  Others,
> like Ron Lauzon, might bring some
> new gadget, a  new distribution, and
> a stack of CD blanks. John-Thomas once brought
> a half dozen hard drives to use for different
> installations. Dave X would bring in a
> home made projector and fire it up.
>
> Those gatherings seemed popular.

Sounds like a hacker meet. (In the JWZ sense of "hacker")  That
*would* be fun. :D

It also sounds a lot like what Casey was pretty close to doing in his
garage a few months ago; If his garage is available (even without a
lot of pre-prep work like settings up tables or preparing a
projector), it's probably the best location. Right off the freeway,
and plenty of space. Freeway construction there is supposed to be
finished in the next month, too.

> See http://omnibus.bobanna.com/grlug_meet_050305/
>
> March 5, 2005.
>
> The value was in getting a group of
> people together, and letting them match
> up with something of interest.  People
> basically got out of it what they put in
> to it, plus the expertise of the others,
> and might just resolve some issue or
> learn how to do something.
>
> Would that venue be of interest to
> people now?  The advantage is that
> people can come with issues of interest
> to them, and just toss things around.
> But for Eric's making his facilities
> available, there was a high degree of
> informality, and no real need for an overall
> agenda.  People each make up their own.

I love it...

P.S. Incidentally, I don't think I've ever seen your column widths get
so wide. ;-P