[GRLUG] Mesh networking, localnet and Internet infrastructure

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Mon May 18 19:35:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, you can download the *source code* to my WL-330ge from ASUS's
> website; It already runs Linux.  The WL-330ge also contains two
> radios, which it normally uses for bridging networks, or for
> redistributing one SSID as a different SSID.

Indeed.  Just as you can download the source code for most wireless
routers running Linux these days.  The fact that you can download it,
however, does not mean it is of respectable quality, or that you can
even build it for that matter (often, you can't.  Embedded folks are
fond of using "creatively" patched build environments.)  OpenWRT is a
quality completely-FOSS, easily buildable firmware replacement for
routers.  All the source is available, under BSD, GPL, LGPL, or
similarly permissive licenses.  It's much higher quality in just about
every respect than any SOHO router firmware.

> Would that be on Leonard between the 5th/3rd and 131?

Yes.  Across the corner from the 5/3rd.

> I'd be curious what the range of a wifi cantenna point-to-point link
> would be--without serious tweaking, and while remaining within the
> power/gain regulations.

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi#Distance_records

Distance records (using non-standard devices) include 382 km (237 mi)
in June 2007, held by Ermanno Pietrosemoli and EsLaRed of Venezuela,
transferring about 3 MB of data between mountain tops of El Aguila and
Platillon.[14][15] The Swedish Space Agency transferred data 310 km
(193 mi), using 6 watt amplifiers to reach an overhead stratospheric
balloon.[16]

> It's also possible that such a point-to-point
> link could be picked up and used by any 802.11 transcievers between
> the two cantennas, suggesting that local omnidirectional sharing of
> the link is possible.  We should set up a list of Lat-long coords
> where interested individuals would be willing to set up PtP or omni
> nodes, and figure out which are within range of each other. (Nearest
> intersection is likely good enough, if privacy is a concern.)

I'm all for it.  As I mentioned, corner of Alpine and Leonard, GR, NW for me.

--tim