[GRLUG] Mesh networking, localnet and Internet infrastructure

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon May 18 16:24:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to answer a couple quick questions I see here...
>
> - You wouldn't need to pair a small computer with each router, routers
> _are_ small computers.
> - Yes, OpenWRT has packages for OLSR mesh networking, as well as
> B.A.T.M.A.N. mesh routing protocol.  Also, WPA2-PSK.

FWIW, you can download the *source code* to my WL-330ge from ASUS's
website; It already runs Linux.  The WL-330ge also contains two
radios, which it normally uses for bridging networks, or for
redistributing one SSID as a different SSID.

> Conclusion:  If someone wants to experiment with setting up a
> localnet, I'm all for it.  I have 5 Netgear WGT634Us which run OpenWRT
> quite well, and I can suggest some other great hardware:
>
> Ubiquity Networks (http://www.ubnt.com/) sells some of the nicest
> inexpensive WISP hardware around - preloaded with either OpenWRT or
> their specialized WISP firmware.  Most of it is already packaged for
> outdoor installation.
>
> For indoor use, these folks (http://www.open-mesh.com/store/) seem to
> have the cheapest solution around.  I've never used their hardware,
> though.
>
> I live in a 2 story building near the corner of Leonard and Alpine.
> I'd be perfectly willing to set up a big directional antenna on the
> roof, and point it at someone.  Anyone want to start this thing?

Would that be on Leonard between the 5th/3rd and 131? I might know the
building.  I live near Ivanrest and 28th, so I'd likely be a bit out
of your range, even with a directional antenna.  Keep in mind, though,
that FCC limits on power outputs take into account the gain of the
antenna involved, so if you use a directional antenna, you're likely
going to be forced to attenuate your transmit signal. (I don't think
the laws apply as far as receiving, though.)

I'd be curious what the range of a wifi cantenna point-to-point link
would be--without serious tweaking, and while remaining within the
power/gain regulations.  It's also possible that such a point-to-point
link could be picked up and used by any 802.11 transcievers between
the two cantennas, suggesting that local omnidirectional sharing of
the link is possible.  We should set up a list of Lat-long coords
where interested individuals would be willing to set up PtP or omni
nodes, and figure out which are within range of each other. (Nearest
intersection is likely good enough, if privacy is a concern.)