[GRLUG] Going local for ideas

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 22:45:19 EDT 2009

So for a long, long time now, I've wanted to sell books based on
Rosetta Code as a way to fundraise for the site. ($25/mo for a low-end
Slice doesn't cut it during massive traffic influxes like the
occasional Redditing or appearance on a major language planet)

The model I had in mind was:

* Allow a user to specify what what category intersections they wanted
(A popular one would likely be Tasks∩LangA∩LangB...)
* Generate a script to generate LaTeX files with the requested content
and send to a POD publisher, and put a PDF somewhere to satisfy the
GFDL.
* Run the script either monthly or quarterly.

The rub is finding a POD publisher that will let me publish via an API
and will handle sales interaction; I'm comfortable with a slice taken
out of the sale if I don't have to handle customer payments.

I've looked at Lulu and FedExKinko's, but Lulu doesn't appear to
support API programming and FEK won't handle the sales.  Does anyone
have recommendations on someone I could work with to get something
like this going?