[GRLUG] Looking for LDAP/ActiveDirectory coders.

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Jul 2 22:06:05 EDT 2009

> Not a paying thing, just something regarding Rosetta Code.  A while
> back, someone submitted some ActiveDirectory-related material, and
> some other users complained that since ActiveDirectory is a Microsoft
> thing, that non-Microsoft languages and platforms would have
> difficulty working with it.

Samba has no issues interoperating with AD from multiple platforms.

> Of course, AD and LDAP are pretty closely related,

They are less related than most people think.  AD is a DSA, but it is
not a DSA 'natively', it provides access to its data store via LDAP, but
not all of its data store.

> and I was going to
> go ahead and put together some code examples in a few different
> languages.  But that was a month or two ago, and I simply haven't had
> time.  Would anyone find this an interesting exercise?

What are the specific questions / examples?

> (I'm also interested in seeing example code for DBUS interaction,
> which *is* Linux-specific, but that's mostly because so many service
> and connectivity daemons on Linux like to use DBUS for control instead
> of config files.  grr...)

I just noticed the other day that the managed-dbus project has actually
posted some documentation <http://www.ndesk.org/DBus_Documentation> so I
hope to be writing some D-BUS code soon