[GRLUG] Ubuntu Netbook Remix without a Netbook

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:20:14 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it was Erik who asked last night if it was possible to get the
> Ubuntu Netbook Remix onto a non-netbook. It turns out to be not hard,
> but it doesn't seem particularly useful to me on a normal sized
> monitor. Also, the Clutter desktop launcher brought my AMD Athlon 2GHz
> to its knees. But if you'd like to give it a try, assuming you are
> running vanilla Ubuntu Karmic (or probably also Jaunty):
>
> 1. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook remix
> 2. Logout of Gnome
> 3. When you login again, the remix is in effect.
> 4. You will notice the Clutter desktop launcher and the Maximus
> automatic window maximizer.
> 5. You can then select the Dust theme through
> System->Preferences->Appearance to get the Remix colors.
> 6. Then select Customize and pick the Human window borders.
> 7. To get closer to the true remix, you need to delete the bottom
> Gnome panel and the Gnome menu in the top panel.
> 8. Then add the following panel apps to the top panel: Go Home and
> Window Picker.
>
> That is pretty much the remix right there.

I'm not particularly familiar with the the Netbook Remix, but I've
discovered one can flip between kubuntu, ubuntu, medibuntu and even a
netbook flavor by installing the right package.  I accidentally
switched my laptop to the netbook software set a while back, and while
trying to flip away from it, I wound up with medibuntu. (Incidentally,
I found medibuntu's interface to be a lot cleaner and easier on the
eyes than the default GNOME install and theme settings.)

I *think* there's just one package for each flavor that you can
install that, through a system of conflicts and requirements, will
swap out most/much of the software.