[GRLUG] Upgrading Firefox

John J. Foerch jjfoerch at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 28 11:18:42 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:55:01PM -0400, Steve Romanow wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:

> >> Really?  *That's* what he said?  Hah.
> >>

> > Well, there's some potential ambiguity; I think his phone may have
> > autocompleted or autocorrected a couple words.  I'm not sure what
> > "loco" referred to, but the technical prowess attributed to the
> > sabdafl would equate to the technical prowess attributed to Mark
> > Shuttleworth, who's known to apply his money to causes, yet still
> > manages to make money.
> >
> > In hindsight, it seems I didn't interpret the "yes, but we know
> > better" wink-wink-nudge-nudge bit, though.
> >

> Hello, guys.  Now at a proper keyboard.  I have a terrible habit of
> using too many acronyms and references that I assume would be
> understood.  When you lose the LUG you know your gone too far.  :)
>
> I didn't mean to escalate this.  I understand Adam was kidding.  So am I.
>
> I was referring to the Ubuntu LoCo groups for the fanboy reference from
> Adam.  I probably fall in that group (of fanboy).  It is the distro
> d'jour for me.  Well, I like many of its derivatives.  I currently have
> machines with #!, Mint, and 64-bit Ubuntu.
>
> There are warts, but I can deal with them.  Most of my issues I think
> are more app issues than what I would attribute to distro breakage.
> gPodder, as much as I love it is becoming my new app to struggle with.
>
> There are a whole lotta kernel upgrades in the ubuntu env.  Doesn't
> bother me too much.  I mainly use laptops, so they are always within a
> few hours from a reboot.  Don't run any servers at home right now.

In the course of following this thread, I got to rethinking my personal
policy of not recommending Debian to people new to the gnu/linux world.
When I installed Debian on my new computer a couple of weeks ago, the
process was painless, not complex like the Debian of yesteryear.  I had a
couple of hardware issues stemming from the fact that I elected to buy
relatively new computer parts, and therefore needed a more current kernel
and X.org, but I would have run into those problems with any distro.
(And Debian's apt-pinning, though a technically advanced procedure, is a
true convenience in this situation.)  So what does the LUG think?  Is
there any longer an advantage of Ubuntu over Debian for the novice?
Debian has a shining reputation for stability and quality, so maybe
Debian is the better "long term investment"?  Inviting some friendly
speculation.

--
John Foerch