[GRLUG] Upgrading Firefox

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 14:10:50 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org
> wrote:

> Strongly disagree; I find the packaging on Ubuntu to be extremely
> frustrating.  Not including rz/sz as a requirement for minicom?  &^@*&$^
> That is just the one a recall off the top of my head,  Ubuntu does a
> terrible job at declaring reasonable/realistic dependencies for
> packages.

> > Like Suse, Ubuntu is geared toward newbies.
>
> I don't believe either distribution is geared toward newbies,  I do
> believe some people associated with each distribution believe that they
> are. :)

Ubuntu is geared towards mainstream users; Linux for human beings, not
kernel-compiling cyborgs. I've noticed that many hardcore Linux guys have
problems with getting Ubuntu to behave with crufty old programs like minicom
or with non-mainstream desktop environments like Fluxbox or Awesome. In my
opinion, people who need these things should be running something less
"friendly", like Debian. If you want a Linux that is easy to install,
update, and use for everyday tasks, then Ubuntu is the right one for you!

--
 Ben Rousch
 brousch at gmail.com
 http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/